National News

Australians mourn victims of downed Malaysian jet

Mourners console each other during a national memorial service for the victims of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 at St Patrick’s Cathedral in Melbourne, Autralia Thursday, Aug. 7, 2014. All 298 people, including 38 Australian citizens and residents, on board flight MH17 were killed when the plane was shot down over eastern Ukraine last month. (AP Photo/Mark Dadswell, Pool) -
Mourners console each other during a national memorial service for the victims of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 at St Patrick’s Cathedral in Melbourne, Autralia Thursday, Aug. 7, 2014. All 298 people, including 38 Australian citizens and residents, on board flight MH17 were killed when the plane was shot down over eastern Ukraine last month. (AP Photo/Mark Dadswell, Pool)
— image credit:

By Rod McGuirk, The Associated Press

CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's prime minister said Thursday that those responsible for shooting down the Malaysian airliner over Ukraine will face justice, as his nation marked a day of mourning for the 38 Australian citizens and residents who died in the crash.

The commemorations were centred on St. Patrick's Cathedral in Melbourne, capital of Victoria state where 16 of the victims lived.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott told the multi-faith service that hundreds of Australian police and military personnel had been working around the clock to retrieve human remains and belongings from the war zone where Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 crashed on July 17 with 298 people aboard.

"There will be a time to judge the guilty, but today we honour the dead and we grieve with the living," Abbott said.

"We do rededicate ourselves today to supporting the bereaved, to obtaining justice for the dead and for their families, and to working for a better world," he added.

Flags flew at half-mast and church bells chimed around Australia in honour of the dead.

The West has accused Russia of most likely providing Ukrainian insurgents with surface-to-air missiles that may have been used to shoot down the Boeing 777 over rebel-held territory.

Prime Minister Mark Rutte of The Netherlands, whose nationals made up more than half of the victims, said Wednesday that the search involving Dutch and Australian police for victims' remains is being halted because fighting in the area of the crash site makes it too dangerous to continue.

Australia sponsored a United Nations Security Council Resolution that demanded that separatists allow the dead to be retrieved and international investigators free access to the crash site.

Australia's first priority is retrieving its dead, followed by establishing who shot the Boeing 777 down and bringing the culprits before the courts.

"We cannot bring them back, but we will bring them home, as far as we humanly can," Abbott said.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Sep 25 edition online now. Browse the archives.