Would-be abductor afflicted by schizoaffective disorder

Mental health issues seem to be behind the bizarre case of a man who allegedly tried to abduct a four-year-old boy from a downtown Chilliwack apartment.

Mounties say 41-year-old Jonathan Lee Landsman walked into a Williams Street building July 9, grabbed the hand of a child and began to walk out of the building.

The boy refused in the lobby and Landsman left.

Crown counsel later determined Crown counsel later determined there was insufficient evidence to charge Landsman.

He was held in custody, however, as the Crown seeks a peace bond-a restraining order-against the 41-year-old.

Landsman suffers from schizoaffective disorder, the court heard, and lives in supportive housing just five blocks from the apartment targeted in the alleged incident.

The mother of the four-year-old boy told the Times she was upset with how the case was handled and that no charges were laid.

She was in court Monday to try to get a glimpse of Landsman in case she runs into him again.

"I don't want to be walking down the street and not know who he is," she said.

Crown counsel Rebecca Beeny released more details of the "bizarre cirumstances" of the case in court Tuesday.

She said the accused had knocked on other

doors in the apartment building. At one door, the resident answered and Landsman told the person he was there to "pick up the elephant for Derek."

The person didn't know what he was talking about and closed the door.

When he knocked on the target's door, the four-year-old boy answered the door, Landsman walked in and tried to shake the hand of the boy's 19-year-old uncle.

(A publication ban was issued for the name of the witnesses in the case.) Landsman then told the uncle that he knew his 12-year-old brother, and he got the

name correct, Beeny told the court.

He then told the four-year-old to pick up the kitten. Landsman picked up a toy wrestling belt and took the hand of the boy and left.

The uncle followed them to the lobby and, when a mail carrier held the door open, the boy refused to leave, at which time Landsman left with the belt only.

Despite this confusing situation, Crown says there is no indication Landsman knows the family.

He was released on $500 bail Tuesday on a number of conditions, including: to stay away from the witnesses, to not come in contact with anyone under the age of 16, and report for treatment to a mental health clinic in Surrey.

Exceptions were made for his two children and the new child of his ex-wife.

The conditions of his bail are similar to the restraining order sought by the Crown. His next court appearance is July 30.

Comments are closed

Community Events, August 2017

Add an Event