News

Smoking likely caused Chilliwack apartment fire

Chilliwack firefighters douse a burning mattress at a Corbould Street apartment Wednesday afternoon. - David Lee
Chilliwack firefighters douse a burning mattress at a Corbould Street apartment Wednesday afternoon.
— image credit: David Lee

A new building's sprinkler system and a quick response by Chilliwack firefighters helped prevent a downtown apartment fire from causing serious damage.

At approximately 1:30 p.m.. on July 2, crews from Halls 1 and 4 responded to the fire in the 9000 block of Corbould Street.

On arrival crews reported light smoke from a third storey apartment window of a four-storey apartment.

The fire was quickly brought under control with the aid of the building's sprinkler system, according to the Chilliwack Fire Department.

The tenant of the unit where the fire started was home and the sprinkler helped limit the tenant's exposure to smoke and hazardous gases.

There were no firefighter or civilian injuries, and damage was limited to the one unit.

The cause of the fire appears to be related to smoking materials.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Sep 25 edition online now. Browse the archives.