News

Aaron Douglas indicted for double murder BC Supreme Court in Chilliwack

Aaron Douglas was indicted for two murders and attempted murder in BC Supreme Court in Chilliwack on Monday. - File
Aaron Douglas was indicted for two murders and attempted murder in BC Supreme Court in Chilliwack on Monday.
— image credit: File

Stone-faced as always, Chilliwack’s Aaron Douglas appeared in BC Supreme Court Monday via video to be indicted for two counts of murder and one count of attempted murder using a firearm.

This was his first appearance in Supreme Court to face the charges for the alleged Aug. 7, 2014 murders of Richard Blackmon and Tyler Belcourt in a Gore Avenue apartment in downtown Chilliwack.

Douglas is also accused in the attempted murder of a woman who survived the attack. Her name cannot be reported due to a publication ban.

Charges were laid against Douglas on Aug. 11 last year. That’s when RCMP Integrated Homicide Investigation Unit (IHIT) officers announced the search was on for the notorious prolific offender.

On Sept. 25, after 49 days on the lam, with hair dyed blond, Douglas emerged on his hands and knees from a Rainbow Avenue home in Abbotsford as officers surrounded the home.

Douglas’s alleged victims, Blackmon and Belcourt, were known to police but a source close to those in the criminal scene in Chilliwack told the Times that Blackmon was one of the “good guys,” and served as a mentor for some troubled individuals.

Memorial pages were created on Facebook, and still exist, in honour of both men.

As for Douglas, he has an extensive criminal history for drugs and weapons. Most recently an attempted murder charge was dropped in BC Supreme Court mid-trial two weeks before the Aug. 7 incident on Gore Avenue. Two days after shooting victim Jeff Karpes testified in court, Crown Counsel took a guilty plea from Douglas on one weapons charge and stayed the attempted murder charge.

Karpes’ testimony proved to be inconsistent and unreliable upon cross examination by defence lawyer Ken Beatch.

Outside the courthouse a year ago, Douglas’s first cousin Roxanne Peters said he was “going to straighten out.”

His video appearance this week was brief and intended to move the case from provincial to Supreme Court.

Crown counsel said it had disclosure to provide to Beatch, and Douglas is next due back in court July 20.

Comments are closed

Community Events, July 2017

Add an Event