Fire officials say a working smoke alarm helped a Cultus Lake family get out of their home safely after it caught fire early Monday morning.
Fire crews responded to a reported structure fire in the 4900 block of Cultus Lake Road at 2: 20 a.m. Monday to find a homeowner on the roof of his manufactured home, fighting a fire with a garden hose.
Assistant fire chief Ian Josephson said the fire began in a wood burning stove and travelled up to the vent area of the roof, where it ignited wood and roof materials.
All four people who were home at the time of the fire were unharmed. Upon arrival, firefighters put out the small fire in the roof space.