Twenty seagulls first thought to have died after eating garbage exposed during construction work at Bailey Landfill were actually killed by canines.
"We've received the preliminary autopsy results from the Ministry of Agriculture which reports that the seagulls perished from canine bites (dog, fox or coyote)," Mayor Sharon Gaetz said. "This finding
alleviates any remote concerns that the seagulls ingested something unsafe." The Landfill was shut down for a few hours Thursday after the seagulls were found dead.
The dump is currently being upgraded by the city to add a methane gas extraction system. As part of the process, crews exposed an old area that contained composting material, according to Gaetz. The mayor said on Facebook Friday that seagulls had "eaten this exposed garbage and. .. died."
The dump was shut down as a safety precaution when the city found out about the dead birds.
An occupational hygienist team from the B.C. Institute of Technology was brought out to test air quality at the site but found nothing.
Gaetz said that after the bird deaths, city hall notified the Ministry of Environment, Environment Canada, Worksafe BC and Fraser Health. Five of the birds were sent
to the the Ministry of Agriculture for autopsies. The Bailey Landfill is now back open for business.
© Copyright 2013