An 18-year-old man from Richmond is among the latest file of suspected Stanley Cup rioters being handed over to the Crown.
Vancouver police recommended another 70 criminal charges against 25 more suspected rioters on Monday.
The Richmond teenager faces charges of participating in a riot and mischief for his part on June 15 last year. According to police, at around 9 p.m. in the 700 block of Nelson Street, he tried to smash the rear window of an unmarked police car with plastic.
When this didn't work, he is alleged to have thrown a hubcap at the window. Unsatisfied, he is said to have joined a group of rioters as they tried to roll the vehicle onto its side. Despite the efforts of a small group of citizens who tried to stop this, the rioters persisted and were able to flip over the police vehicle. Police say the accused has no criminal record.
"After eight months, we are just as determined and committed as we were the days following the riot," said Inspector Les Yeo.
"I want to make it clear - this is not about those who stood around and watched the riot. "All of those we are recommending charges against are alleged to have destroyed property, looted businesses, started fires and assaulted innocent bystanders."
The 18-year-old Richmondite is the third from the city to be charged in connection with the riot. One of them, former Miss B.C. finalist Sophie Laboissonniere, 20, is alleged to be among the horde of rioters that looted London Drugs in downtown Vancouver following the Canucks' Game 7 loss in June 2011. She is charged with breaking-andentering and taking part in a riot. Her lawyer, David Baker, said last month he is in plea discussions with prosecutors.