Two homeowners were injured in separate space-heater-related fires over the weekend.
On Saturday at about 2 p.m., firefighters responded to a reported propane tank fire at the 45000 block of Westview Avenue.
Upon arrival crews found a 50-pound propane tank on fire in the backyard of a single family residential home.
The fire was quickly extinguished and the tank cooled.
The homeowner had been inside his shop connecting a propane tank to a space heater.
When he went to light the heater, the propane ignited and fire flashed in his face.
He suffered second-degree burns and was treated by paramedics.
On Sunday, a man was sent to hospital after trying to fight a fire caused by a space heater in his own home.
At 10:30 p.m. firefighters responded to a structure fire in the 9900 block of Merritt Drive.
Upon arrival, they found thick smoke and fire showing from a second-floor bedroom window in a two-storey, single-family home.
Firefighters entered the building and quickly suppressed the fire.
There was extensive fire and smoke damage to the second-floor bedroom with smoke damage to the remainder of the house.
A smoke alarm had alerted the homeowner to smoke on the second floor.
He went across the street to a neighbour's house to have them call 9-1-1 but re-entered the home to fight the fire.
He suffered burns to his lower arms and smoke inhalation injuries and was sent to Chilliwack General Hospital.
Fire officials are reminding residents space heaters should be kept at least one metre or three feet away from all combustibles.
© Copyright 2013